Welcome to my internship blog! I am volunteering at the local Health Department to improve their tobacco cessation services.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Class Five

Class Five
Last class
2/9/10

Participant 1 -smoke free
Participant 2 -slipped and has been smoking 2-3 cigarettes daily
Participant 3 -slipped and has been smoking 2-3 cigarettes daily
Participant 4 -smoke free
Participant 5 -slipped but has been smokefree for the last two days
Participant 6 -smoke free


Instructor praised everyone’s hard work and used positive reinforcement to encourage them. She mentioned to be prepared for times you want to smoke, keep building better habits, and practice being a non-smoker. Thank you for doing what I and the program have asked you to do. I’m proud of your successes and we’re not comparing successes because everyone has made success.

Did everyone reward yourself this week?

Now is a good time to make more lifestyle changes because it can take your mind off quitting smoking as well as take up your time in a positive way.

P61 has a walking program guide
P 53-54 has tips to change your mind about food

Remember to makes goals enjoyable and realistic.

Also this is a good time to change your communication style. So many smokers communicate passively (because they hide behind their smoking)
ex scenario: a man is working and his boss comes out screaming and yelling profanities to him in front of his other co-workers; the man is very upset and angry at his boss but rather than confronting him or explaining the situation he goes out to the smoke pit and smokes then returns to work without talking to his boss.

3 types of communication styles
Aggressive- pushy, demanding, overbearing; it’s like saying “I count and you don’t”
Passive- wimpy, shy; it’s like saying “I don’t count but you do”
Assertive- respecting the rights of others and asking them to respect you; it’s like saying “I count and so do you”

P63
Assertive communication activity
Write down some assertive ways to respond when someone tries to get you to smoke.

P55-60
Tips for staying smoke free

Relapse prevention handout

We will be contacting you to see if your smoke free at 3 months and those who are will get a $25 target gift card.

Please fill out end of clinic questionnaire

Since this is the last class I won’t give you homework but I’ll give you “lifework”
Continue to reward yourself
Review your workbook regularly
Use coping strategies
Use support system
Take it one day at a time, don’t stop trying

Certificates to each participant and a personalized message from the instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment